Wednesday, February 7, 2018
![]() |
| Outside our flat |
| Vincent and Paula outside our flat with the camper van last night |
We couldn't get back to sleep so we stayed awake and left early in the van to get the bump stop repair done. The van rides like a sports car, very good pick up! Morgan immediately decided to get a detailed car wash to freshen the inside air, so that's another thing we are adding to the list . . .
![]() |
| Tracy's Sticky Black Rice |
![]() |
| Morgan's Eggs Benedict |
We walked to breakfast at Little Sisters Cafe near the repair shop - a place I could write a whole blog post on - but suffice it show our meals: Eggs Benedict with Slow Roasted Mushrooms and Avocado (Morgan) and Balinese Sticky Black Rice with Grilled Banana, Palm Sugar and Coconut Milk.
Truly, could a day get off to a better start.
![]() |
| Van interior with sink and food supplies |
For dinner, we walked through the neighborhood, down the hill through a park, and out onto New North Road, where we had seen very interesting Western-style bars and night clubs walking home the other day. Morgan wanted to walk around checking out the menus at a few places first (Dad, did you teach her to do this???). We settled on Citizen Park and again, truly, these restaurants outdo themselves. I started with a wine called Brookfields Syrah (you will recall I am now a steadfast Syrah wine fan), and then went onto an awesome spiced lamb quesadilla with jalapeno, mint yoghurt, red cabbage and peanuts. I mean, these combinations are amazing! And every restaurant here seems to have lamb, my favorite meat, in some form. Morgan had pulled pork sliders, but lest you think these were just any 'ole pulled pork sliders, hold on there - these had pears and caramelized onions in them!
![]() |
| At the train station elevator platform at dusk, New North Road Auckland, NZ |
One last note about NZ restaurants. Here are a few things I think we need to adopt universally in the USA:
1) No tipping. That's right, no one tips here. Instead, waiters and waitress and other service personnel are paid a living wage right up front (I mean, no brainer here - catch up, USA restaurant owners, don't make your customers support your employees);
2) Many restaurants are BYO - Bring Your Own. . . wine! Now, that's sensational! Why pay for wine when you can bring your own to go with a good meal? We saw quite a few restaurants labeled as BYO when we were wandering tonight. Lastly, my personal favorite:
3) Water pitchers and glasses are put out in an open area for customers to help themselves to as much water as they want. Again, why haven't we thought of this? Apparently it's a law in NZ that restaurants that serve alcohol have to have water openly accessible. Perfect.
Back at the flat, we have tomorrow planned. A trip by another ferry in Devonport (20 minute drive in the camper van away) to Rangitoto Island, where we are going to do a 5 -hour round trip hike up a volcano! Morgan wants to carry on her back everything we both need, to practice for her Great Hike in April. Fine with me!





How cool! Maybe you should keep the van and rent it out. Then you could go back for a visit whenever you want and stay awhile. Love you two😚
ReplyDeleteI would love to come back, but for the amount of money this trip is costing me, I'd be in the poor house real soon. Morgan is going to try to sell the van to a car dealer after her trip, to recoup some of her money.
DeleteAre you going to get to the South Island at all? I spent some time in Christchurch in the late 80's on my way to and from Antarctica with the Navy. It was our R&R stop to and from, usually 3 days each. I am surprised about the food...I told paige you guys would HATE the food, back then it seemed everything was fried, very much a British style of food fare. As military we were not treated too kindly by the locals but we managed to have a good time nonetheless, the Mauri's welcomed us more so than the "English" did. Have fun and keep bloggin'
ReplyDeleteHi Kurt - Morgan is going to the South Island after I leave, for this week, we are staying in and around Auckland getting her ready for the South Island trip. She wants to spend some time in Christchurch. Maybe that's when she'll hit the bad food streak - seems like Auckland is very cosmopolitan but Christchurch may be a bit more backwater. Come to think of it, I guess it's all downhill regarding food from here - she has to live out a camper van on food she can cook on a little propane stove, lol.
DeleteThe van looks great! And I now want to eat a breakfast like the one you had!
ReplyDeleteMy comment published as “Unknown” (Google)
ReplyDeleteI am trying again—-It sounds like you girls are having a great time.
If you have time, let me know if you received any of my comments
DeleteHi Aunt Martha - I got all your comments. Keep them coming! Keeps me in touch. We are definitely having a good time, in between getting Morgan ready for her trip in a couple of days. Tomorrow is going to be one of those days of thinking only about camper stuff, lol.
DeleteWhat a great experience. Looks like great fun!
ReplyDeleteYes, it's fun and we learn a lot every day. We were saying today that only last week, our biggest worry seemed to be how to drive on the left side of the road without crashing into something! Now, it's second nature. Morgan zips around these city streets here like she's done it all her life. Of course, it's usually on the tip of my tongue to say, "You're going to hit the curb on my side," but I know it's my imagination since I'm not used to the curb coming up on my left, lol.
Delete