Friday, February 9, 2018
I promised to write about the hike in Rangitoto Island, except I can't yet because we missed the morning ferry! We got detained by an unexpected traffic law, and lack of parking at the ferry terminal. The bizarre traffic custom is explained best via commentary in the video below:
Afterward, we walked around Devonport, a small sleepy sea side town on a hill. Every street seemed to end in a view of the harbor and bay. We had eaten breakfast on the main street before our Mount Victoria hike, and then returned for lunch afterward. Then we found the oldest cinema in the southern hemisphere, The Vic (a vintage Victoria style cinema that was built in the silent movie era in 1912), and watched a movie in style, "The Phantom Thread," a thoroughly enjoyable period piece that was a perfect movie to watch in an old Victorian theater. We walked the harbor walk back to our car, and returned home in the early evening. Another day well spent.
![]() | |
| At the Vic, Devonport, NZ |
Today we did rainy day camper van supply shopping, got the camper van washed, got Morgan's 60L hiking backpack and sneakers, and generally, seemed to spend a lot of time driving around Auckland. I told Morgan if she can drive on the left in a camper van on narrow big city streets all day, she could most probably do anything!
Then we topped off the day with dinner out at Portland Public House, a ten-minute walk from our flat, on New North Road. Fantastic food, again, and live entertainment. I won't bore you with the dinner details this time, but Morgan said she had the best cocktails she ever had, and she took a menu home, so that tells you something.
![]() | |||
| Grilled Prawn and Chorizo skewers (with lime gremalata and chilli & garlic/ oil) | Pumpkin and Mozzarella Risotto Balls (with aioli and caramelized onions) |
We have a game plan for tomorrow - sunrise from the top of One Tree Hill, then on to a Saturday morning market, and then, we'll try to get on that elusive ferry to hike up the volcano on Rangitoto Island!



I hope you catch the ferry. Don't break a toe!
ReplyDeleteWe caught the ferry, and i didn't break a toe, but I did break a shoe!!! I'll tell you about it in my next (and probably last) post (tomorrow I go home).
Delete